The course is run as a training vehicle for aspiring and practising teachers, mainly in the post-16 sector, but is also suitable in some circumstances, for practitioners who are working in a school setting. We have had graduates in the past, who have gone on to work in school settings as qualified teachers, following completion of a short course, post Diploma in Education and Training, that confers the status of “Qualified Teacher Status” (QTS)
The delivery of the course, being a university-level programme, also involves the execution of formal assessments (assignments) which include academic writing and suitable associated reading.
As part of the programme (and to support unit content) learners must achieve 100hrs of teaching practice over the duration of the programme. At interview learners must provide a timetable and a letter of assurance from their placement that these hours can be serviced. They must also provide details of their mentor.
The 100 hours are assured through the observation process, a weekly teaching journal (which meets unit criteria upon its completion) and evidence from criteria completion.
- Qualification: Diploma in Education and Training (Level 5) Pearson
- Entry requirements: This programme is available to anyone who teaches / trains young people (normally post 14) and adults, particularly:
- Practising full and part-time teachers / trainers within the broad field of education and training. This includes higher, further, and adult education, leisure and youth workers, and training personnel in HM Forces.
- Intending teachers provided they are adequately qualified in the subject they wish to teach and can obtain practical teaching experience.
- Training personnel in industry, commerce, and public services.
Applicants are expected to possess the following qualifications on entry:
- Level 3 qualification in their vocational area
- Level 2 qualifications in English and Maths (or be working towards successful attainment prior to course completion)
- Must have a placement organised where 100 hours of teaching practice can be facilitated and logged within the time frame of the programme (with the inclusion of a mentor within this placement)
- All applicants require a DBS to be in place for their 100 placement hours (evidence may be requested of this)
Adult Learning Environment: Learners are required to be 19+ years of age.
- Awarding body: Pearson
- Cost: Please contact us for pricing by filling out the form below. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com
- Location: Online through the Virtual Learning Space of Microsoft Teams Education. Face to face learning at NMITE University, Black Friars, Hereford (or a location to suit a particular client if group booking has been secured)
Duration & Delivery Model
We offer a range of delivery models to suit employers and organisations for multiple candidate bookings. Please fill in the form below or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about group bookings.
- Face to face: One day per week, for 40 weeks (9 hrs per day) – Face to face model. Possibility of making some sessions online for ease of learner / tutor.
- Blended: 70 weeks of delivery, 4 weeks of one evening a week online lesson for 4 hours, then one full 8-hour day on week 5. This cycle is repeated for 70 weeks. Blended model. Scheduled for Wednesday evenings online, Fridays for the face-to-face delivery.
What you will Learn
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- Theories, Principles and Models in Education and Training
- Inclusive Practice
- The Role of the Course and Personal Tutor
- Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- Wider Professional Practice and Development in Education and Training
- Specialist Delivery
- Specialist Resources
- Over the duration of the course participants will also undertake 100 hours of teaching practice and maintain a professional development portfolio.
Units / Modules
- Behaviour Management
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Curriculum Design
- The Role of a Personal Tutor
There is a diverse range of assessment within this programme including presentations, team tasks, pairs tasks, mind-maps, small written tasks, practical demonstration, formal observed teaching practice, reflective practice, video tutorial creation, some essays, no exams!
MEP have chosen to create a programme that is supportive in how it is assessed, with a wide range of assessment methods to meet the needs and preferences of all learners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this Training for?
The course is run as a training vehicle for aspiring and practising teachers, mainly in the post-16 sector, but is also suitable in some circumstances, for practitioners who are working in a school setting.
What can I do next?
At Minerva Elite Performance we also offer the Level 3 Award in Education and Training which acts as a solid foundation / starting point to the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training.
Why Choose MEP?
- All tutor led lessons and assessments (support at every juncture).
- Taught by subject specialists.
- Most of the assessment/evidence will take place during the live sessions, with some written tasks as ‘homework’.
- We will make the most of the live sessions and ensure that learners are given ample time to get everything done for the qualification inside the hours allocated (limiting the need to work outside of the sessions).
- Online sessions taught on Microsoft teams.
- Face to face taught sessions at NMITE University, Blackfriars Campus, Hereford (although this location can be altered to meet the needs of a specific cohort).
- Assignments and assessment material uploaded and marked on Teams Education, easing the process and logistics for both learner and tutor.
- You will be provided with a temporary Microsoft Teams Education account for the duration of your programme.
Please contact us below to discuss the next date(s) for this course. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com.
Register Your Interest
Get in touch today and a member of our team will reach out to book you onto this course or answer any questions you may have about this course.